Ingredients for the preparation of Odessa hodgepodge
- Chicken fillet 600 grams
- Rice 1/2 cup
- Onion 2 pieces
- Carrot 1 piece
- White cabbage 1 piece (small head)
- Tomato juice 200 milliliters
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil 2-3 tablespoons
- Main Ingredients: Onion, Carrot, Chicken, Rice
- Serving 6 servings
- World CuisineUkrainian Cuisine
Inventory:Glass (capacity 250 milliliters), Tablespoon, Fine mesh colander, Deep plate - 5 pieces, Knife - 2 pieces, Cutting board - 2 pieces, Paper kitchen towels, Stove, Deep nonstick pan with a thick bottom and a lid, Kitchen spatula, Plate
Preparation of Odessa hodgepodge:
Step 1: prepare the pic.
We take half a glass of rice, pour it on the kitchen table, sort it out, remove the spoiled, as well as damaged grains and any other rubbish. Then we drop the rice into a colander with a fine mesh, rinse it under cold running water from dust and leave it in this container for 5 - 7 minutes to drain excess water. After we shift the rice into a deep plate and proceed to the next step.
Step 2: prepare the meat.
We wash the chicken fillet under cold running water, dry it with paper kitchen towels, put it on a cutting board and clean it from cartilage and hymen. After we cut it into portioned pieces with a diameter of up to 4 centimeters and put the meat in a deep plate.
Step 3: prepare the vegetables.
Using a knife for slicing vegetables, peel onions, carrots, and remove the top damaged leaves from the head of cabbage. Then we wash them under cold running water and dry them with paper kitchen towels to prevent excess moisture. Then, one by one, we lay the vegetables on a cutting board and chop the onion into a cube with a diameter of up to 1 centimeter.
Rub carrots on medium or large grater.
We shred white cabbage with straws up to 5 - 7 millimeters thick. We lay out the slices in separate deep plates. We also put on the kitchen table a glass with 200 milliliters of tomato juice, vegetable oil, black pepper and salt.
Step 4: prepare Odessa hodgepodge.
Now turn on the stove to a medium level and put on it a deep non-stick pan with 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the fat warms up, we throw the onion into it and stew the vegetable, stirring with a kitchen spatula until transparent for 1 - 2 minutes. After that we add carrots to it and simmer them together until a light golden color, but not until ready, it will take about another 3 to 4 minutes. Then immediately put in the pan pieces of chicken and fry them until golden brown for 13 - 15 minutes. First, the chicken will start the juice and due to this, the onions and carrots are slightly stewed and become even softer.
After a while, the pieces of meat will begin to fry, when they are covered with a golden blush we add prepared rice, tomato juice, chopped cabbage, salt and black pepper to taste in a pan.
Mix everything with a kitchen spatula until smooth, reduce the temperature of the stove to a level between the middle and smallest, cover the pan with a lid and simmer the hodgepodge 25-30 minutes until rice and cabbage are fully cooked. Then turn off the stove and let the dish brew. 7 to 10 minutes. After we lay out the hodgepodge on plates and serve to the table.
Step 5: serve Odessa hodgepodge.
Odessa hodgepodge is served hot as a second hot dish for lunch or dinner. If desired, before serving, each serving of this aromatic dish can be seasoned with homemade sour cream, cream, or sprinkled with finely chopped dill, parsley, green onion, or cilantro. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- If there is not enough liquid in the pan, you can add more tomato juice or pure distilled water, but this only happens if the dish is made from low-cabbage, basically all the vegetables let in enough juice.
- At will, 5 minutes before the hodgepodge is ready, you can add any favorite spices to the pan that are suitable for cooking meat or vegetable dishes, such as thyme, dill, caraway seeds, anise, oregano, cardamom and many others.
- Instead of tomato juice, you can use fresh, juicy tomatoes, crushed in a blender, but in this case you need to take more than juice, about 350 - 400 grams.
- This type of hodgepodge can be prepared in a cauldron, on a stove or in the oven.
- Instead of chicken, you can use chicken wings, cut into 2 parts of the thigh, drumstick, as well as pre-cooked offal, such as heart, liver or lungs.