We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Ingredients for making barley salad
- Cucumber 2 pieces
- Tomato 2 pieces
- Basil 1 bunch (small)
- Red onion (sweet) 1 head
- Parsley 1 bunch (small)
- Pine nuts (fried) 1/2 cup
- Pearl barley 1/2 cup (about 150 grams)
- Distilled pure water about 1 liter
- Olive oil to taste
- Salt to taste
- Main Ingredients: Onion, Cucumber, Tomato, Nuts, Pearl Barley
- Serving 6 servings
- World Cuisine
Glass (capacity 250 milliliters), Fine sieve, Cauldron with lid, Stove, Tablespoon, Colander, Deep bowl - 2 pieces, Kitchen towel, Paper kitchen towels, Knife, Cutting board, Plate
Making salad with pearl barley:
Step 1: prepare the grits.
To begin with, it is worth preparing the cereal, pour 1/2 cup of pearl barley on the kitchen table and sort it out while removing damaged or damaged grains. Then we pour it into a sieve with a small sect, carefully rinse the groats under a stream of cold running water and throw it into a cauldron.
Step 2: cook the pearl barley.
Now fill the barley with clean distilled water, the liquid should be above the level of large 2 to 3 fingersIf it is lower, add more water. We turn on the stove to a strong level and put a cauldron with groats on it. When the liquid boils, we reduce the temperature of the plate to a small level and introduce salt into the container to taste, not forgetting that the salad will still be salted during the cooking process.
Then mix the barley with a tablespoon, cover the cauldron with a lid and cook the cereal for 1 hour almost until the moisture evaporates completely. During this time, pearl barley will boil, become soft, crumbly, but at the same time they will not lose their shape. After the cereal is cooked, remove the cauldron from the stove holding it with a kitchen towel and throw off the barley in a colander. Leave her in it on 10 - 12 minutes in order to drain excess liquid, then transfer to a deep bowl and cool the barley to room temperature. Attention: In no case should porridge be washed!
Step 3: prepare vegetables and herbs.
While barley is cooling, we begin to gradually prepare vegetables and herbs. We wash cucumbers, tomatoes, peeled red onions, basil and parsley under cold running water from any kind of pollution. Then we dry the vegetables with paper kitchen towels, and shake the greens over the sink, thus getting rid of excess moisture.
After we cut off the places on which the stalks were attached at the tomatoes and cucumbers, we remove the stems from the greens, leaving only the leaves. Alternately, lay the vegetables on a cutting board and cut, cucumbers with tomatoes, quarters up to 1 centimeter, red onion in a small cube to 5 - 7 millimeters, just chop the parsley finely, and chop the basil with a thin straw up to a thickness 5 millimeters. We shift the slices into a deep bowl.
Step 4: bring the salad to full readiness.
In a bowl with chopped vegetables and herbs, add the roasted pine nuts, 1/2 cup is enough, but if you wish, you can put more on this taste of the finished salad will only win.
Then in the same container we put the boiled and cooled pearl barley, as well as a little salt. After we season the salad to taste with olive oil. Mix everything with a tablespoon until smooth, taste and if necessary add more salt. Now we lay out the salad on plates, arrange with any favorite greens, for example, basil leaves and serve it to the table.
Step 5: serve the salad with pearl barley.
Barley salad is served at room temperature in a salad bowl or in portions on separate plates. This dish does not need any special additions, except for croutons, toasts or a slice of fresh bread of any kind. The taste of the salad is very refreshing, juicy and rich. Enjoy it!
Enjoy your meal!
- This type of salad is not subject to long storage! It retains its freshness for no more than 2 - 3 hours, after which the vegetables begin to wither, give a lot of juice, which, after prolonged storage, begins to turn sour!
- In addition to all the vegetables and herbs indicated in the recipe, lemon zest, olives, olives, dill, green onions, cilantro and stewed zucchini or zucchini are sometimes added to this type of salad.
- At will, boiled, baked or fried meat of any kind can be added to this salad.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use refined sunflower oil.
- Before cooking, it is advisable to soak pearl barley in cold water for 2 to 4 hours, and preferably 12 hours.
- If you bought raw pine nuts, they must be fried in a dry, very hot pan for 4 to 5 minutes or baked in an oven heated to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 to 15 minutes to a blush. Then the husks are removed from the nuts and only after that they can be added to the salad.